Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Lion Pose (Simhasana):
Step by Step
1. Kneel on the floor and cross the front of the right ankle over the back of the left. The feet will point out to the sides. Sit back so the perineum snuggles down onto the on the top (right) heel.
2. Press your palms firmly against your knees. Fan the palms and splay your fingers like the sharpened claws of a large feline.
3. Take a deep inhalation through the nose. Then simultaneously open your mouth wide and stretch your tongue out, curling its tip down toward the chin, open your eyes wide, contract the muscles on the front of your throat, and exhale the breath slowly out through your mouth with a distinct "ha" sound. The breath should pass over the back of the throat.
4. Some texts instruct us to set our gaze (drishti) at the spot between the eyebrows. This is called "mid-brow gazing" (bhru-madhya-drishti; bhru = the brow; madhya = middle).Other texts direct the eyes to the tip of the nose (nasa-agra-drishti; nasa = nose; agra = foremost point or part, i.e., tip).
5. You can roar two or three times. Then change the cross of the legs and repeat for the same number of times.
This is a great pose for releasing stress!
Sifting Realities is a great new You Tube series written and directed by Meghan Ciana Doidge. Salts dressed the main character in the series in several episodes. Here is the most current episode where Belinda, the main actress is wearing the Salts Be Cozy hoodie. Be sure to watch the rest of the episodes! Zombies, cookies, sex, guns and love triangles! It Doesn't get any better then that!
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Today I received this heartbreaking letter. I had no idea my Chubby Bubby Baby leggings had such a use. Please read the letter below.
We recently lost a baby girl to a rare genetic disorder shortly before she turned 5 months. While in the hospital she was only able to wear these baby leggings because of her ventilator and heart monitor. We are now collecting baby legwarmers to send up to the ICU she stayed at in her name. We're reaching out to our etsy friends for help with this so if you can help us out with this project, please contact me!
Thank you so much!
Needless to say I was brought to tears and sent our a package right away. If you would like to purchase some Chubby Bubbies baby legging to donate you may do so on our etsy store. I am offering the leggings at half price and we will mail them to the ICU for you. Follow this link to purchase Donation Leggings.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
What is Earth Week? It was created by a committee of students, professionals, leaders of grass roots organizations and businessmen concerned about the environment. It began in 1970. It's designed to encourage environmentally-aware behaviors, such as recycling, using energy efficiently, and reducing or reusing disposable items.
When is Earth Week? It begins on April.16th, and ends on Earth day, which is April.22nd.
What Can You Do? There are major events organized all over the earth in support of Earth Week. There are clean-ups, festivals, fairs, and many other events. If you are interested in taking part in something like this, you can search for a suitable event by following the link at the bottom of this article!
It's time to appreciate our Earth!
Find An Event In Your Area click Here.
Saturday, April 3, 2010
HEADACHE SEQUENCE (minimum time 25 minutes, maximum time 45 minutes)
Balasana (Child's Pose)
Perform either with your head on the floor, or with your torso and head supported on a bolster positioned between your thighs. The bolster's long axis should be parallel to your torso. (Total time 3 to 5 minutes.)
Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Pose)
Support your head either on a bolster laid across your extended leg, or, if you're less flexible, on the front edge of a padded chair seat. Hold each side for 1 to 3 minutes; total time 2 to 6 minutes.
Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog)
Support your head on a bolster or block. (Total time 1 to 2 minutes.)
Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend)
Place your head and crossed forearms supported on a padded chair seat. (Total time 1 to 3 minutes.)
Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose)
Support the torso on a rolled blanket underneath and parallel to your spine. (Total time 3 to 5 minutes.)
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Supported Bridge Pose)
Support the torso on a bolster, and shoulders and head resting lightly on the floor. (Total time 3 to 5 minutes.)
Viparita Karani (Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose)
Let the pelvis be support either on a bolster or rolled blanket. (Total time 3 to 5 minutes.) To avoid any possibility of straining your back when exiting, be sure not to twist off the support. Either 1) slide off the support first before turning to your side, or 2) bend your knees, press your feet against the wall, and with an inhalation lift your pelvis off the support; then slide the support off to one side, lower your pelvis to the floor, and turn onto your side.
Savasana (Corpse Pose)
Take normal inhalations but lengthen the exhalations as much as is comfortable for you. If you normally take 5 counts on an exhalation, extend it to 7 or 8 counts if possible. At the end of the first 10 or so exhalations, pause for 2 to 5 seconds before drawing the next inhalation. (Total time 1 to 15 minutes.)
**please contact your health-care professional before beginning any workout routine.****
Build your own yoga sequence from The Yoga Journal here!