Hiya Everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the lovely sun this weekend has brought in for us! But this blog is not for discussing the current weather, I come on a mission! An apple wreath mission, that is. How many of you love that scent of freshly bakes pie? Yum, when you walk into a house where someone was baking all day. It's simply irresistible!
This wreath comes quite close to providing those same nose-pleasing aromas, and it will last much longer!
What you will need:
Juice of approximately 10 lemons
2 teaspoons salt
8 - 10 large firm apples
8 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon cloves
8" - 10" sturdy, heavy gauge wire
1 - 1 1/2 yards of a 1" ribbon
How to make your apple wreath:
1) Place lemon juice in a large bowl, and stir in salt.
2) Peel, core, and slice apples horizontally into 1/4" thick circles. Soak slices in lemon juice bowl for approximately 6-10 minutes, making sure each side of the slices has a chance to absorb some of the lemon juice.
3) Meanwhile, mix spices in a bowl and blend well.
4) Remove the slices from the bowl and place them on paper towels. Pat tops of apple slices with paper towels.
5) Dust apples slices with spice mixture. Turn slices over and repeat on opposite side.
6) Place apples slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 150-200 degrees F for 6 hours or until completely dried. Apple slices should be slightly pliable.
7) Fold each apple slice in half, and then into quarters and thread the apples slices onto the wire. Continue to pack on the folded apples until the wire is completely filled.
8) When the wire is completely covered, use pliers to bend ends into hooks so that they can connect and close. Carefully shape wire into desired shape. I recommend either a circle or heart shape.
9) Using your ribbon, create a hanger for your wreath.
10) Hang on your wall, or package as a gift for someone special.