Friday, October 2, 2009
Dress For you Body Type. 5 Tips for a Flattering you.
Whenever I am designing a new item I like to take into account what its going to do for the person that puts it on. We all have had an item that hugs us in all the wrong places and makes us feel like we are on the way to Frumpville. Then we have also had the great luck in finding a piece that shows off our best and highlights what makes us beautiful. Those are the items that we keep for years and wear until there is nothing left to them. My favorite moment is when I manage to come up with something that looks great and flatters all the right places on a lot of different women.
The most common complaint that I get from women is that clothing hugs their tummies and backs. Another concern of course is the thigh area. I have compiled some of my best advice for diverting attention (yours mostly, no one else thinks much about your tummy and thighs by the way) away from the areas you don't totally love into areas that you adore.
1. Determine your best feature and build your look around it. Love your eye color? Compliment it with color and tone. A great tip is to find a color wheel and then find the color of you eyes. Bring it out by finding the color on the opposite side and wearing that. For example orange colors bring out blue eyes. Wearing colors that match your eyes also tend to bring them out more.
2. Style lines, Style lines, Style lines. A well placed style line is a woman's best friend. Want to whittle your waist? Grab an item with an hour glass style line on the front. Slim your thighs? Look for length wise lines down the legs of your bottoms. Avoid cargo pockets on pants if you want to slim down your legs. Our classic Candy hoodie (shown above on Leah Oke) in Organic Cotton and hemp has a great cut, toning your midsection with out all those boring sit-ups.
3. Color and Darks. Wear your dark colors on area that you want to minimize and lighter brighter colors on areas you want to draw attention to. Large on top and small on bottom? Pair a black top with a bright colored bottom. This will balance your figure more evenly.
4. Ruching is the bomb. Runching is deep gathers on a garment used to create folds. They are great for covering bumpy areas that you want to keep to yourself. Gathering also works great to add volume if your very petite. Our Wave Check EcoFriendly Hoodie has Ruching along the front with a waist whittling style line to give you a double whammy of flattering effects. Check out our Zen Jacket if you want to add some bulk to your figure.
5. Draw the attention of your admirers where you want it to go. This works terrifically in all areas of your life. The obvious example if the mighty bare cleavage but there are subtler and classier ways to pull the technique off. Use brighter colors and interesting details to draw admiring glances where you want them. Try a great necklace to enhance your beautiful neck or a hair pin to draw attention to your luxurious mane. Grab some great jeans if you like your bottom half better than your top and wear a plain dark shirt minimize your top. Then put on a smile to show off your pretty soul.
Hope these tips help you to look and feel your best. If you want some more tips come stop by Salts Clothing at 2052 Otter Point Road in Beautiful Sooke, BC on Vancouver Island and speak to one of our stylists. Of course your can always shop for Salts Organic Clothing online.